Hemp is in vogue. The versatile plant is currently enjoying an enormous boom in many areas. One ingredient in particular is causing quite a stir: Cannabidiol, or short: CBD.
In this article you will learn:
CBD is one of over 100 known cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are mainly found in the Flowers of the hemp plant contain. Currently, the best-known cannabinoids are CBD and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). In contrast to the "big brother" THC, CBD is perfectly legal and has little to no psychoactive effect. Rather, it can even dampen or regulate the effect of THC. Completely unjustifiably, CBD was overshadowed by THC for many years, as it is mainly known for its medicinal effect particularly useful.
Responsible for this is the Endocannabinoid system in the human organism. As Part of our nervous system it is above all at the smooth communication involved.
The endocannabinoid system consists of receptors that are anchored on the cell surface. These receptors are predominantly located in the Central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) or on Cells of the immune system. Cannabinoid receptors can bind not only the body's own cannabinoids but also cannabinoids supplied from outside. These include CBD, THC and other cannabinoids in the hemp plant.
The endocannabinoid system is involved in many control processes in the body. Among other things, it influences:
- Movement control (e.g. cramps)
- Pain sensation
- Functions of the gastrointestinal system and the liver
- Tissue damage
Due to this, the Endocannabinoid system in our Organism of great importance. The special thing about the endocannabinoid system is that, in the case of disorders, it can be activated with the help of cannabinoids such as CBD back into balance can be brought into the body. Thus, functions in the body can be positively influenced and symptoms can be alleviated.
CBD is usually extracted from the flowers of the hemp plant. For this purpose, only certified commercial hemp with a low THC content is used within the EU. Important factors when choosing CBD products are the CBD content, dosage, form of application and whether other cannabinoids are contained. The most popular CBD products are:
- CBD flowersDried hemp flowers, which are smoked or vaporised. Due to the partly unclear legal situation and difficult dosage, we recommend other products.
- CBD tea is also made from dried hemp flowers. The infusion is also popular, although an exact dosage is difficult.
- CBD oil: Extracts from the hemp flowers dissolved in oil. Oil is the most popular CBD product. The reason for this is the easy dosage, uncomplicated storage and ingestion. We strongly recommend using CBD oils that contain CBD as well as other cannabinoids and substances from the hemp flower.
- CBD ointments and cosmetics: Ointments with CBD in particular are suitable for external treatment. Therefore, these products are especially useful for targeted, local application.
- CBD foodFoods with CBD such as lemonades, chocolate and chewing gum. Especially popular in the USA are sweets and drinks with CBD. Here, however, the benefits of CBD recede into the background.
The CBD content and is usually decisive for the effect of CBD preparations. Depending on the preparation, other cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids are also contained. These can support the effect of CBD. Because of this, CBD extracts are labelled with the "full spectrum"of the ingredients of the hemp flower are particularly in demand. A large number of studies have already confirmed the successful use of CBD. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), these include the following complaints and clinical pictures:
- Sleep disorders
- Menstrual cramps
- Pain and inflammation
- Support for wound healing
- Osteoarthritis, arthritis and gout
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Furthermore, according to the WHO, there are no known side effects worth mentioning. However, the use of CBD products is not recommended in combination with other medicines or during pregnancy. In case of doubt, the attending physician should always be consulted. Furthermore, CBD preparations are often natural products and do not have the same effect in every body.
CBD has a positive effect on the Cannabinoid receptorswhich interact with the CBD supplied from the hemp plant. This activates the reaction of the receptors to fear, pain and stress in our body. In this way Inflammations inhibited become and the Pain perception decreases. This explains the anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic and anticonvulsant effects found in studies. In addition, cannabinoids influence the formation of new tissue and can thus accelerate the healing process of internal and external injuries. CBD can also be used effectively against bacteria and germs. Thus, CBD ointments are ideal for supporting wound healing after injuries or tattoos.
Despite the increasing interest in CBD products, we are generally not allowed to give any information about the dosage. This is mainly due to the fact that the active substance is in a legal grey area in Austria.
→ Please note our Disclaimer.
World Health Organization on CBD: Cannabidiol Report WHO
hanf-magazin, Vol 3 - hemp-magazine.com/